Friday 22 August 2014

Something Old, Something New... #1



I saw this at Glastonbury & it really stuck with me. Where is everything going? Surely one day we will run out of space to keep throwing things away. This has helped me to decide I need to make more of an effort to throw less away & get more creative. Beginning with an old pair of pyjama bottoms! I really love the material of these (I'm a sucker for polka dots) so really didn't want to throw them away. As I'm sure you have noticed, there is a lot of bunting around these days, everyone seems to be making it and it is something I haven't tried yet. So I was keen to get my sewing kit out and give it a go for myself.


I began by making a triangle template which I pinned to my pyjama bottoms. I decided to do this on a fold, to make the bunting double sided - this also meant I would only have to sew down two sides. Once I had cut out all of my triangles, I sewn each edge on my sewing machine (if you had the time, you could do this by hand too). I made sure I didn't sew all the way up to the folded edge, as I wanted to allow a little space to thread the ribbon through the top. Once each triangle was sewing, I neatened the edges with my pinking shears to make sure they wouldn't fray. Finally, after threading the ribbon through the triangles, I put a small stitch on each one to keep it in place. So what do you think?


This was a fun, simple project and is definitely something I will do again in the future. I think it is a lovely idea for a present and would be a great party decoration too! Have you ever made bunting before?

 
ZoFlo


No comments:

Post a Comment