Sunday 10 May 2015

101 Things in 1001 Days #44

Upholster an Item

I think I have had the most productive Sunday EVER! I have finally got around to upholstering the footstool I got myself at a car boot sale for £4. Absolute bargain! I had my eye on some material for a while at The Fabric Barn & was so pleased when I saw they had a sale on. I managed to pick myself up a meter for just £18; more than enough material for my stool (so I must by more footstools...). Also, don't be fooled, I think I put a filter on this photo so it looks really cute, but the material was so dirty. Beautiful, but dirty. Definitely needed some TLC...


 Originally I wasn't planning on painting it, but as I already had some paint left over from one of my Upcyling Projects I did last year, I thought I would. And I think it goes really nicely with the light material as well. Of course Humphrey was close by whilst I was painting too, as always...


After taking off the old cover, I unpicked the darts so that I could use it as an exact template. That worked really well & ensured that I could make my new cover fit perfectly. I did make my fabric a little bigger as I added in some extra wadding to make it a little more padded. I tacked everything first, before securing with white upholstery pins.


 It actually didn't take me very long at all. Waiting for the paint to dry was the longest part of the process, but definitely worth the wait as I think it looks amazing. I am so pleased with how it has turned out, but a little nervous to actually have it in the lounge as I don't want it to get ruined!! But nevertheless, I will put it out so everyone else can enjoy it too.


What do you think? I absolutely loved this project & really want to do more of these in the future. I am currently working on one for my Mum that is a completely different style to mine & a little bigger too. I will post a photo on my Facebook Page when that one is completed, so make sure you keep your eyes peeled!

 
ZoFlo


No comments:

Post a Comment